Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

401k Distribution - partial payback

sharpcougar
Level 3

Ok guys - I have not seen this before...

Client took out $88k 401k distribution in 2021. She did it because she thought she would need the funds due to surgery she had and a purchase of a house in Florida (she was planning to move there).

She changed her mind about moving and ended up paying back $67k in the same year she took the distribution. Did you guys see this before?

As always -appreciate your insights.

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Was it within 60 days of the distribution?  If so, it seems like a rollover to me.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
If she paid it back within 60 days, rollover, if not, taxable event and she probably needs to get it back out of there.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Did she really take a distribution, and receive a 1099R, or did she take a loan ?

qbteachmt
Level 15

I am assuming you already put this on extension. That will also provide for corrective distribution by the due date of the return, which might also be a bit of a loss (since the market has been down from year end), so it might not hurt too badly if this isn't qualified as Rollover.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
K-Tax
Level 2

Doesn't the 60 day rule only apply if the taxpayer returns the entire amount in full including any tax withheld?

Was it a loan or an actual distribution on 1099R? Makes a big difference.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

There can be a partial Rollover (redeposit).

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers