Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover files from crashed computer

TinyT
Level 2

Help!!!!! I’m freaking out!!!! My laptop has crashed mid tax season! (but hard drive still ok I believe, will know on Monday) need to know if I will be able to recover current year as well as previous years files- and if so, how?? I’m still currently working on many clients and their returns are not finished yet. The laptop will not even get to safe or recovery mode 😞

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

If not, you'll be able to restore both the current & prior year client data from your backups.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

15 Comments 15
abctax55
Level 15

If not, you'll be able to restore both the current & prior year client data from your backups.

( Generic Comment )"
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If the ProWin18/18Data and ProWin19/19Data folders can be resurrected, then you'll be ok....be sure to let whomever is going to help with the harddrive know that these 2 folders are the most important to save.

Then invest in Carbonite or some other auto backup program, Carbonite less than $100 a year and you'll never have to worry about losing a client file (or any other file) again.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
itonewbie
Level 15

Sounds very much like the OP doesn't have a backup (or a backup that's current).

If not and if the hard disk failed, the only other way is to send it to the manufacturer or a trusted professional for recovery but that's going to be costly, it may take time, and full recovery is not guaranteed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

Jensen... I'm not gonna' bet against you.

( Generic Comment )"
itonewbie
Level 15

I hope I'm wrong though.  Computer crash is bad enough on its own.  Yikes!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
TinyT
Level 2

Thanks for this info! Extremely good to know! I will let my tech guy know! He’s pretty good so I’m hoping for the best!! And for sure I’ll be getting an auto backup program!!! Thanks for taking time to respond! 

TinyT
Level 2

Thanks for the info! I’m hoping for the best! 

0 Cheers
TinyT
Level 2

First time in this forum- didn’t know to click accept as solution! But solved! Hopefully! 😄

itonewbie
Level 15

Welcome to the forum!  Just wish you had joined us under better circumstances.  Best of luck, @TinyT and will see you around!

Still an AllStar
jrcwhittier
Level 1

My computer also crashed and all files were deleted can, does pro series tech department provide technical support can they recover my files that were processed?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Intuit doesn't keep copies of any client files, sorry.   

If you didn't save a backup copy and they've all been deleted from your hard drive, you'll have to recreate them from your paper copies you kept....assuming you DID keep a hard copy somewhere.

You may want to invest in an automatic cloud backup program like Carbonite, it backs up the folders of your choice continuously so if you ever crash, you'll have a backup of the files.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
ocean
Level 1

sorry, what is the solution?  I am now in Tiny s situation.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

If not and if the hard disk failed, the only other way is to send it to the manufacturer or a trusted professional for recovery but that's going to be costly, it may take time, and full recovery is not guaranteed.

Read the entire thread... PS/Intuit does NOT keep any of your files on their end.

( Generic Comment )"
Andee
Level 1

If not, what?

0 Cheers
Andee
Level 1

Were you able to recover anything?

0 Cheers