Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 W2's with box 1-11 empty same company. how to fix error?

shercri
Level 2

Has anyone encountered this issue:

3 -w2's from same employer

1st w2 has all boxes fill-in (1-20) State CA

2nd w2 has 1-11 boxes empty and 12, 16, 17 fill-in State MA

3rd w2 has 1-11 boxes empty and 12, 16, 17 fill-in State RI

Any help appreciated. What to do? Should I put all the information from 2nd (w2) and 3rd (w2)on the 1st (w2) because it gives me an error when i input the 3 w2 individually

errorw2.JPG

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Sounds like it’s one W2 with taxable income in 3 states.

on the w2 worksheet complete the form like you normally would. Enter the other 2 states under the Cali entries..that should clear your errors…

However, it sounds like there are a couple of non resident returns in your future. you’ll also have to add the other states to the info worksheet to get them to efile. 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Sounds like it’s one W2 with taxable income in 3 states.

on the w2 worksheet complete the form like you normally would. Enter the other 2 states under the Cali entries..that should clear your errors…

However, it sounds like there are a couple of non resident returns in your future. you’ll also have to add the other states to the info worksheet to get them to efile. 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
qbteachmt
Level 15

1st W2 has the Fed info, then.

You never add the State info together. Each State has different reporting requirements. Some want the full Fed info and some want only the State info. The "empty" forms are not subsets, but specific reporting.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9

"If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround"

that's what I do

0 Cheers