Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2021 Corona Related Retirement Distribution

Jtax LLC
Level 3

Forgive me if this has already been asked.  I know the form is probably not available yet, but has anyone heard that the Corona-Related Disaster Retirement Distribution that eliminates the 10% early withdrawal period been extended into 2021?  If they made a virus related distribution in 2021, is it exempt from the 10% early withdrawal penalty?  I am hearing different things.  If so, is that form going to be available when the 8915-F is available?

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

I have seen the question asked, I think it would be on form 5329 which appears to be active in the software at this point.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

No, there is no Cornavirus distribution penalty exception for distributions in 2021.

qbteachmt
Level 15

You might be hearing different things, but let's restate this so it makes sense to you.

"eliminates the 10% early withdrawal period"

For 2020, the withdrawal is not considered Early if it qualifies under the disaster requirements, including covid.

The penalty is not taken "over" any amount of years. The Income reporting for tax consideration is what optionally was deferred over three years.

"been extended into 2021? If they made a virus related distribution in 2021, is it exempt from the 10% early withdrawal penalty?"

There is no covid disaster beyond 2020. There are other disasters, of course.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers