Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 Tax Refund

megm
Level 2

A tax client is expecting a 2020 tax refund of >$12,000 per an 8/30/2021 Notice from the IRS. No direct deposit has been made (per request on e-filed return) nor a paper check received to-date (1/10/2022).  Tax client's return was e-filed in April 2021 and was amended because of a corrected 1099 in May 2021.  Any suggestions about trying to find out where the refund is?  I checked "Where's My Refund" - no luck and called two (2) automated numbers without success.  Thank you. 

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

They are saying 24+ mos on amended tax returns. So, I would say wait a year at least. I have a simple 1040X waiting since May. They do acknowledge the amended tho.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Patience - that's all you have to work with when dealing with the IRS these days.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Have you tried the IRS online tool for amended returns?

https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

I don't know the source of the 24-month claim.  The latest from IRS is,

"As of January 1, 2022, we had 2.3 million unprocessed Forms 1040-X. We are processing these returns in the order received and working hard to get through the inventory. The current timeframe can be more than 20 weeks instead of up to 16."

BobKamman
Level 15

Patients -- that's all the hospitals have to work with when dealing with Covid these days.  

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
2.3 million, thats a lot less than they had in November, so they are working their way through them!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

I read the 24 plus somewhere........I "think" it was in a Kiplinger letter I receive monthly.

"The current timeframe can be more than 20 weeks instead of up to 16." - Ooooooh, maybe it was 20 that i read and then boosted it up?

24 sounds better!! 😂🤣

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Kiplinger is right up there with Fox News as an authoritative source.  But 2 years is more than 20 weeks, so you could be right.  

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

oh WT actual F..............I see now where I goofed up. I did type 24 mos. 

Im like Homer Simpson "DOH!!"