Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099Q 529 Distribution

Shirley79
Level 4

I have a 529 plan for my Granddaughter.  I had $4000 sent directly from the plan to her college for the first semester in 2021.

Her 1098-T showed $4570 tuition and $2125 in scholarships (I Reported the1098-T on her parent's return)

Her 1099-Q (I reported on her return) shows the Distribution of $4000 and Earnings of $1600 

Software is saying she owes tax on the "excess withdrawal"

Want your opinions on whether I've reported this right and if I'm missing something.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Shirley79
Level 4

Your first comment about "where did the rest of the money go", is exactly what woke me up last night !!!

What does QHEE stand for and can you explain that comment a little more about excluding 529 earnings from income?

Thank you.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
rbynaker
Level 13

1098-T forms are notoriously unreliable.  Follow the money.  If tuition really was $4,570 and $2,125 was covered by scholarship, that leaves $2,445 leftover.  What happened to the rest of your $4,000?

See IRS Pub 970 Chapter 7 for qualified higher education expenses in addition to tuition:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf

i.e. Room and board won't be included in the tuition amount but will be QHEE to exclude 529 plan earnings from income.

Shirley79
Level 4

Your first comment about "where did the rest of the money go", is exactly what woke me up last night !!!

What does QHEE stand for and can you explain that comment a little more about excluding 529 earnings from income?

Thank you.

0 Cheers
Shirley79
Level 4

Never mind about explaining - I see what you mean.  Thank you so much.  

0 Cheers