Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099NEC for a non-resident

parvitstax
Level 5

Where does a 1099NEC get reported on a 1040NR? 

The filer is on an F1 visa (MBA student) but received a 1099NEC. I only see 1099MISC for 1040NR on ProSeries. 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
parvitstax
Level 5

I usually use the "Where do I enter" button to quickly jump to a form but Intuit has not made the 1040NR version of the button very useful compared to the 1040 forms. Anyway:

1. I created a Sch C 
  2. Clicked on the quickzoom button for "Enter gross receipts reported on a 1099-NEC"
  3. Completed the Sch C as normal

Seems the main issue was the "Where do I enter" did not direct me to a 1099NEC form so more issues than necessary arose. Thanks for the support everyone.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
qbteachmt
Level 15

Typically, that means it is "working as your own business" and not "as employee." The employer could be wrong (should have been W2 employee), or it is the type of profession that is "under contract" such as Health Care Professional. It also could be stipend, which a lot of times is taxable, but people don't realize that. You'd need more info.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
parvitstax
Level 5

on 1040NR there is no place to enter a 1099NEC. I only see a 1099MISC option. Where would we enter a 1099NEC?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040nrn.pdf

You might have a problem, if that is supposedly, "While being my own business as Self..."

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

What did they receive the income for?

It probably goes on a Schedule C.

You don't have to enter 1099-NECs or 1099-MISC. You just have to enter the income.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
parvitstax
Level 5

They are a graduate student in an MBA program and their job was approved by CPT (curricular practical training). 

0 Cheers
parvitstax
Level 5

I usually use the "Where do I enter" button to quickly jump to a form but Intuit has not made the 1040NR version of the button very useful compared to the 1040 forms. Anyway:

1. I created a Sch C 
  2. Clicked on the quickzoom button for "Enter gross receipts reported on a 1099-NEC"
  3. Completed the Sch C as normal

Seems the main issue was the "Where do I enter" did not direct me to a 1099NEC form so more issues than necessary arose. Thanks for the support everyone.

0 Cheers