Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099K update

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Good morning all, IRS posted updated info on the 1099K.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/taxpros/fs-2022-41.pdf

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

This part doesnt make sense, why wouldnt ANY transaction of this type go on Sch D 8949?

The gain on the sale of a personal item might be reported on a Form 1099-K. If you receive a Form 1099-K reporting the $900 that you received from the sale of your concert tickets that cost you only $500, you must report the gain on Form 8949 and Schedule D.

The loss on the sale of a personal item is not deductible. For calendar year 2022 tax returns, if you receive a Form 1099-K, for the sale of a personal item that resulted in a loss, you should make offsetting entries on Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, Schedule 1, Additional Income and Adjustments to Income, as follows: Report your proceeds (the Form 1099-K amount) on Part I – Line 8z – Other Income, using the description "Form 1099-K Personal Item Sold at a Loss." Report your costs, up to but not more than the proceeds amount (the Form 1099-K amount), on Part II – Line 24z –Other Adjustments, using the description "Form 1099-K Personal Item Sold at a Loss." In the example of the refrigerator sale above, if you received a Form 1099-K for $600 for the refrigerator for which yo

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

I think they are saying, if you receive a 1099K it should be reported somewhere on your return. Personally it it a personal gain I will report on schedule D, if a loss I will use schedule 1

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Because IRS has now joined the game of "Trick the IRS Computer"!

I wonder how many 1099-K issuers will bother to reprogram their computers to omit 1099-K filing for 2022, just to reset them again for 2023.  Most of them do email or other online distribution, right?  But IRS will probably ignore matching all of them under a certain amount.  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

So theyre gong to try and cross match it either on Sch 1, Sch D or Sch C?  That gonna be a shit show.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪