Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1095A

YLC
Level 4

I have a divorced client filing as HOH with one dependent who is listed on the ex husband's Marketplace Insurance.  In addition, three other dependents of the ex husband are listed, so how do I enter this information without affecting my client's refund?

Thank you, Yvonne

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dkh
Level 15

You have to fill out the shared policy information at bottom of 1095A worksheet

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
dkh
Level 15

You have to fill out the shared policy information at bottom of 1095A worksheet

YLC
Level 4

Should I allocate 100% to the ex husband since it's his policy?  

Thanks 

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

You need to read instructions on how to determine the allocation.    Use the Help feature in ProSeries or check IRS for detailed instructions.

Your client and the ex husband will need to report the same % of allocation.

YLC
Level 4

In order to allocate, do I need the full ss#'s, because I can only see the last four, and the ex won't give my client the full ss#'s, thank you

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Hey   @TaxGuyBill    isn't this an area you're well versed on ?  Can you advise @YLC .   

I've only had to do a couple of these and it was just removing children from parents 1095A

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@YLC wrote:

how do I enter this information without affecting my client's refund?

Was Advance credit paid (column C of the 1095-A)?

Is the husband willing to claim 100% of the 1095-A?  If not, you may not be able to enter it without affecting your client's refund (and your client may possibly want to consult their divorce lawyer about it).

Does your client not have her ex-husband's Social Security Number?

YLC
Level 4

They are not on speaking terms and there are two other children involved.  The other ex wife went to H&R block and said they didn't have to do any allocating, so now my client thinks I am inept and is picking up her paperwork this morning to go to H&R Block.  I seriously do not understand how they were able to file without doing it, but good luck to her.  I am honestly relieved that I don't have to keep convincing her.  I already e-filed her return once and it was rejected because the 1095 info was missing.  Thank you so much for your input!

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

@YLC    think of it this way.......now you have an opening for a good client 

YLC
Level 4

You are so right, and I learned something new, even though I was not able to apply it!  I appreciate everyone's input on this!