Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1041 Trust with sale of home

Natasha
Level 3

Greetings,

Working on the trust first time.  Trust had only real property, it was sold and proceed has to be distributed to one beneficiary who is a fiduciary as well. Real property was a home of a grantor (mother) until death and a beneficiary (son) until the sale. I am reporting real property sale as home sale with a step up basis and for some reason IRS K-1 doesn't show any distribution amount and FTB K-1 shows distribution as gross proceed. Not sure if that's how K-1s should be.  If someone has experience preparing 1041 for the trust that was grantor type until the death of the grantor, please help.

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

Capital gains are corpus. They won't show  up on a K-1 unless it is a final return.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Natasha
Level 3

Thank you. Yes it is final. My understanding was that the distribution amount - net sale proceed has to be reported on K-1. And why gross receipt on FTB K-1?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Not sure why it shows the gross receipts on the 541 K-1 but theyve always done that as far as I remember....theres no place for that figure on the 1040/540 at all so it seems moot.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers