Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1040X

carina aguilera
Level 2

I want to file a 1040X for 2020 electronically ( original return was not done in proseries ) I know 1040X wont be available to e-file till 03/18/2021

I am following this instructions but it said is for 2019

1. Open a New Return.
  2. Enter the taxpayer information on the Federal Information Worksheet.
  3. Press F6 for the open forms menu.
  4. Type X and press enter to open.
  5. Check the box current box for This return is for Calendar year.
  6. Manually enter the original amounts in Column A.
  7. Manually enter the corrected amounts in Column C.
  8. Column B will be calculated automatically once amounts are entered in Columns A and C.

but is not working it keeps giving me an error 

cannot electronically file for 1040X when the original return was not successfully efiled.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

11 Comments 11
dascpa
Level 11

Why make life harder than it needs to be?  Print it and have the mail in the amended tax return.  It'll save you valuable time.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Intuit has said, for 2019 1040X anyway, we cannot efile an amended return if we did not efile the original return.

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

But it will sit at IRS, maybe in the trailers that just got freed up, for how long?

I try not to mail anything to IRS unless I have to.

Ex-AllStar
carina aguilera
Level 2

Easy right, send it by mail but we can e-file 1040X and its faster

0 Cheers
Melvin123
Level 1

What about e-filing a 2020 1040X that the client filed on TurboTax?  The system says can't file an amended when the original wasn't successfully e-filed.  Overriding the client status page does not work.

0 Cheers
samsjj88
Level 2

I just did a 1040X for 2020.  Follow the instructions, step by step.  But nothing was carried to the 1040X Form after I made the correction on the original return and  I end up by inputting all information manually as you mentioned!!

Any one have the same problem?  Or, anyone might know what I did wrong??

Thank you!!

0 Cheers
schuppken
Level 2

Yes Samsjj88, I am having the same problem.

Also, If I go to the information worksheet and check the box to amend the federal, it gives me an error saying I can't do an amendment electronically unless it is for 2020.  It is for 2020 but don't see how to let it know that?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Was the original return e-filed in ProSeries? " To electronically file an amended return the original return must have been filed electronically and have an Accepted e-file status." I believe this means you can only e-file a 1040X if  you e-filed the original. I know it was that way for 2019. Maybe @Just-Lisa-Now-   has some insight into this. 

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/amend-tax-return/help/how-do-i-amend-an-individual-return-us...

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
This is correct information, YOU had to have Efiled the original return with ProSeries in order to Efile the amended 1040X with ProSeries.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

"error saying I can't do an amendment electronically unless it is for 2020.  It is for 2020 but don't see how to let it know that?

Have you already opened the 1040X and marked the 2020 box at the top?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
OliverSP
Level 1

Is it necessary to mark the 2020 box at the top?

0 Cheers