Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1040X WHEN DOING - WHICH DO YOU POPULATE?

TAXATION
Level 4

1040X WHEN DOING - WHICH file DO YOU POPULATE?

The Original Return file with the error or the Newly Created Return just renamed?

Thanks

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Camp1040
Level 10

proseries instructions state to make the changes on the original, not the newly created return

How to complete Form 1040X

1. Open the client’s original return.
  2. From the File menu, select Save as.
  3. Save the return using a different name. For example, SmithCopy20.20I
  4. Go to Homebase. 
  5. Open the originally filed return (not the copy you just created). Use the File name column to tell them apart.
  6. Press F6 to open forms, then type X to highlight Form 1040-X in the list.
  7. Click OK.
  8. Scroll down to the This return is for calendar year line.
  9. Check the box for the year you’re amending.

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
Camp1040
Level 10

If you are going to amend by efile then you correct the original after opening up the 1040-X and lets assume it is for 2020, then check the 2020 box. Then go back to your main forms and make the corrections. The 1040-x should start populating.

I do the opposite if it is a paper amendment.

MikeB_CPA
Level 5

If I understand the question correctly, the newly created return is where the changes will be made, AFTER you activate the Form 1040X for the year being amended.  Once the 1040X is activated, any changes in the new file that differ from the original will appear on the 1040X.

Camp1040
Level 10

proseries instructions state to make the changes on the original, not the newly created return

How to complete Form 1040X

1. Open the client’s original return.
  2. From the File menu, select Save as.
  3. Save the return using a different name. For example, SmithCopy20.20I
  4. Go to Homebase. 
  5. Open the originally filed return (not the copy you just created). Use the File name column to tell them apart.
  6. Press F6 to open forms, then type X to highlight Form 1040-X in the list.
  7. Click OK.
  8. Scroll down to the This return is for calendar year line.
  9. Check the box for the year you’re amending.

MikeB_CPA
Level 5

Apologies for any confusion I might have added.  It's been a few months since I prepared an amended return, but I thought I had done the opposite of what the ProSeries instructions state.

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

I have done the opposite also n the past, the change is due to e-filing the amended return .

TAXATION
Level 4

The original question was which file to populate - the "original" or the "copy".

The 1040x Instruction states to use the "original".  But it should be noted that the "copy" file DOES NOT have the Form 9325 carried over to this file "copy".  The Form 9325 remains ONLY in the "original" file.

Why make a "copy" and the file DOES NOT have the Form 9325 is an open question but there must be a reason.  

The "copy" file is now your original filed copy without the Form 9325.  For your records does that make sense!

TAXATION
Level 4

Yes, that is part of the new steps to amend.   There are more steps to complete the amended return

TAXATION
Level 4

Please note that the "date" must be current BEFORE one e-files the amended return.

IF THE DATE IS NOT CURRENT THE FILE WILL GET REJECTED - DO NOT SEE THAT IN ANY OF THE "STEPS" - or is it in the steps?

Thanks

0 Cheers