Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0% Captial Gain tax rate

Clipperclerk
Level 3

My client is on a fixed income of less than 40k annually. She sold her house last year for a big gain above the primary residency exemption. Does she qualify for the 0% tax rate on long-term capital gain?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Clipperclerk wrote:

My client is on a fixed income of less than 40k annually.

If she started off with $40,000 of income, and adds in a large amount of additional income from the sale, that puts her income much higher.  So if she had a $200,000 of taxable gain from the sale, her income is now $240,000.  That means much of the capital gains would be taxed at 15%.

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
IRonMaN
Level 15

What happens when you load it into the software?

Slava Ukraini!
Clipperclerk
Level 3

It calculates a capital gains tax at the15% rate.

sjrcpa
Level 15

But probably not all of it is taxed at 15%.

Look at the Schedule D Tax Computation worksheet. It is most likely correct.

Ex-AllStar
Clipperclerk
Level 3

Yes, You are correct a small portion is being taxed at 0%. But is there a reason why the entire gain is not at 0%?

IRonMaN
Level 15

Income is too high

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If shes on Social Security, dont forget to remind her that her Medicare Premiums will go up for 2023 due to this increase in income.

https://www.medicareresources.org/medicare-eligibility-and-enrollment/what-is-the-income-related-mon...

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Clipperclerk wrote:

My client is on a fixed income of less than 40k annually.

If she started off with $40,000 of income, and adds in a large amount of additional income from the sale, that puts her income much higher.  So if she had a $200,000 of taxable gain from the sale, her income is now $240,000.  That means much of the capital gains would be taxed at 15%.

Clipperclerk
Level 3

Thank You all!  Makes Sense