Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule C is already negative. How do I exclude Home Office expenses from current year, but carry forward to future?

natez
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

It is automatic.  You don't need to do anything.

If you are not itemizing, you need to put the mortgage interest and real estate taxes on Lines 16 and 17.

If you are itemizing, you enter the mortgage interest and real estate taxes on Lines 10 and 11, and then they ARE allowed to increase the loss on Schedule C.

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Some of the expenses on OIH (mort int and prop taxes I think) will be allowed and create a negative on Sch C....it should automatically carry forward any unused portion...look down at the very bottom of the 8829 for the carryover amount.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
rbynaker
Level 13

You can't rely on the software for this.  If they did NOT itemize then ALL of the OIH expenses carry forward.  If they did itemize then you get to deduct the OIH share of the mortgage but maybe not all of the taxes if they hit the SALT cap.

At least that's my understanding.

natez
Level 2

Perhaps I'm not asking my question correctly. My concern is that OIH should not be used to create or increase a Schedule C loss. How do I modify the "allowable" OIH expense to avoid counting that expense on Sch C?

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

It is automatic.  You don't need to do anything.

If you are not itemizing, you need to put the mortgage interest and real estate taxes on Lines 16 and 17.

If you are itemizing, you enter the mortgage interest and real estate taxes on Lines 10 and 11, and then they ARE allowed to increase the loss on Schedule C.

natez
Level 2

Thank you!