Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US taxpayer filing MFS from a non-US spouse - can't e-file

Dan Noble
Level 1

Hello all! I have several clients overseas who are either US citizens or green card holders and are married to a non-US spouse. Their non-US spouse does not have an ITIN or SSN. In a previous program I've used, I was able to put in "NRA" for the non-US spouse's SSN and I was able to e-file with no problem. That doesn't seem to be the case with ProConnect. It's a shame because I remember hearing feedback from those types of clients that they always had to mail in their return and how great it was to finally be able to e-file again. It would be great if ProConnect was able to also implement this so that any married expats can still e-file even though their spouse may have no other US affiliation. Thank you!

2 Comments 2
itonewbie
Level 15

You can. Have no problem e-filing these returns and we specialize only in expats.

Under Misc. Info./Direct Deposit, scroll down to the line Spouse is a nonresident alien and does not have an SSN/ITIN (MFS Only) and check the box.  Just leave the SSN for the NRA spouse blank.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

@IntuitGabi This one should be closed.  Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers