Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I make sure the non resident credit is added to the state return correctly?

emory
Level 1
Client is a resident of IN, but works in IL.  I don't see a credit for their IN state return
0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
George4Tacks
Level 15

Be sure the Client information shows IN as the resident state.

Be sure the wages are IL

Be sure all other income is IN.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/multi-state-taxes/help/input-multi-state-amounts-in-proconne...

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
itonewbie
Level 15

Assuming your client was a full-year resident of IN, make sure you check the box for Full-Year Resident? on the Client Information page.  That will trigger ProConnect Tax to compute a credit for taxes paid to IL automatically.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
emory
Level 1

Thank you for the help on that.  I need to generate the sch 6 for IN, but even when I click on the checkbox, it will not generate.  Very confusing. 

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Just did a quick experiment and it's working like a charm.  For the full-year resident state, ProConnect Tax automatically computes the credit for Sch 6, taking into account taxes paid to all other states, and produces the statement that shows how the credit is limited, all without user intervention.  It's as easy as it can be.

Did you enter anything on State & Local > Other State Tax Credit > IN Other State Tax Credit?

Normally, if there is any conflicting input or omission on the return that causes full-year resident state to not compute the credit, there should be a diagnostic.  Did you review the diagnostic messages to make sure there is nothing amiss?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar