Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There must be a credit for child and dependent care expenses on Schedule 3 for efile purposes when a Form 2441 is present in the return. This return must be filed on pape

marcuswilson
Level 2
I got this under critical diagnostics, when click on View on Input Screen it goes to Preparer Information.
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jo2022
Level 1

This issue has been resolved!

View solution in original post

14 Comments 14
George4Tacks
Level 15

Review your input. Did you make any entries in an OVERRIDE entry?

Describe the input you have and what you are trying to do.

How many dependents?

Filing status?

Dependent care on W-2?

You may be best served by calling support on Monday.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
marcuswilson
Level 2

It looks like intuit is trying to find a solution to this problem and it has something to do with uncertainty as to how to present dependent care deductions/credits on the forms.

Jo2022
Level 1

Has there been any update on the progress of this fix?

Justin G
Level 1

I also came here looking for an update on this.

I am getting this same error and I believe it's because the From 2441 is required to be prepared in relation to dependent care expenses included in box 10 of the W-2. While no additional credit will be allowed, ProConnect appears to be requiring Schedule 3 to print with some value whenever the 2441 is generated. I haven't been able to find a solution beyond paper filing, which I'd prefer not to do.

0 Cheers
marcuswilson
Level 2

I am still waiting for a fix here.  I have not heard of any changes to dependent care tax changes so not sure why Intuit can't just follow the same methodology as last year.  Generating a schedule 3 by finding another schedule 3 credit to apply to the return does not fix it either.  

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

@IntuitGabi could you look into this? w-2 box 10 equals total expenses on 2441 which nets an error message:

There must be a credit for child and dependent care expenses on Schedule 3 for efile purposes when a Form 2441 is present in the return. This return must be filed on paper.

Can this be marked ignore and be efiled?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
marcuswilson
Level 2

I have (2) W-2 Dependent Care Expenses each at $5,000 for a total of $10,000.  It was an over contribution to the dependent care FSA.  I was expecting a $5,000 taxable dependent care benefit on 2441 to carry over to the 1040.  Instead it is $10,000 taxable dependent care benefits. Regardless, it's not going to let me efile with any amount of dependent care expenses.

On Form 2441 Part 1 I have care provider at $10K and on Part 2 I have my qualifying dependent at $10K.

Even if I wanted to pay the full $10K as a taxable dependent care benefits, the error will not let me efile due to the critical diagnosis.  The only want to remove the critical diagnosis is to remove the dependent care expenses from the W2.  

The magic button of View on Input Screen just takes you to the Preparer input screen.  Trying overrides in different areas do not appear to work either.  

0 Cheers
Nelsontax
Level 1

Lacerte's tech support is worthless.

Have you tried disabling the efile error checking?

0 Cheers
PODW4444
Level 3

2/6/2023   AND THAT ERROR MESSAGE IS PREVENTING EFILE   ?  

is there a fix   ?

PODW4444
Level 3

box 10 issue     is preventing efile  and i cant ignore   fix please ?

marcuswilson
Level 2

No fix yet, but thanks for posting which adds awareness to the issue.

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi

This error is currently being worked on to be removed. 
Update was posted here: E-File error for dependent care expenses 

0 Cheers
CPA in KCMO
Level 1

And Lacerte refers to them as EXPERTS. Right

0 Cheers
Jo2022
Level 1

This issue has been resolved!