Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to enter W2 info for CX employees

BtheNotary
Level 1

Entering CX info, schedule C. CX has 1 1099 employee and 2 that he issues w2 .  Where to enter these with the tax WH info?

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
George4Tacks
Level 15

Withholding goes on the W-2 and on the 1099. 

Would you like to rephrase your question to ask what you really need to know?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
BtheNotary
Level 1

Sure!  Thanks!
Where and how to enter the wages and other w2 info that CX paid to employees.  I work for TT and ProConnect entry is slightly different thant TTO or TTD

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Let's fix how you stated this part: "CX has 1 1099 employee and 2 that he issues w2 ."

I don't know what "CX" is. Your taxpayer has a business with 1 independent contractor providing goods and/or services to the business, as their own business. And, your taxpayer has 2 employees on payroll.

If that 1099 person is an "employee" then they are misclassified as a 1099 independent contractor and should have been on payroll.

It helps to state it correctly, as the taxpayer needs to understand if they have this correctly or have a problem.

"Where to enter these with the tax WH info?"

You only withhold for income tax on an independent contractor because they notified you that they are subject to Backup Withholding, which means the IRS no longer trusts that this person is honestly paying their own liability to the IRS in a timely manner.

There should not have been Medicare or Social Security withholding for that 1099 person.

And their withholding is not reported the same as the 2 employees' withholding. Employees are reported 941/944. Backup withholding on the 1099 is reported on 945 and then as part of the 1096 ("cover sheet").

The 1099 person is not being paid Wages.

The payroll people and the 1099 person have withholding as a diversion of their pay. It isn't reported on the tax return for the business as an additional expense. It's already part of Gross expense for the labor (payroll or contractor).

For the 2 employees, the business will have Employer expense for the Employer share of Social Security, Medicare, and Unemployment.

There is no Unemployment paid by this business (who is not the employer) for contractors.

Hope that helps sort out this confusion.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
BtheNotary
Level 1

Thanks for the reply!

CX is customer, 
 I understand the 1099 ...nothing was withheld there
The entry for employees is different in ProConnect than in TTD.  I appreciate the answers and will now continue the entries!  TTD & TTO makes one lazy lol!

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Are you describing that you expected an interview process?

Are you using Help articles? You can google, for example:

Proconnect W2

https://accountants.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/form-w-2/entering-w-2-wages-withholdings-m...

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

When all else fails, read the instructions.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sc.pdf

Hint: 17, 23 and 26 are popular for these types of things. Look at where the ended up in those other acronyms you used. Make this Sch C look like the other. PCT has the ability to check the return, look at the form then click on a blue highlighted line or box and jump to the input for that line or box.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns