Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When there are multiple persons in your tax office (or practice)... How do we change the Preparer's Name on an Intuit ProConnect™ tax return?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

Screenshot from 2023-03-31 02-04-16.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
George4Tacks
Level 15

Client Screen > Misc > pick from drop down

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

@George4Tacks.  Greetings,

EXACTLY what "client screen" are you referencing?

FYI...  Shortly after creation of the tax return, the return was "assigned" to the preparer who is actually working with the client.  However, my name [office manager] is showing up on the return as the "preparer" (which is incorrect).

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

This is what George meant:

1) Go to General > Client Information;

2) On the input screen, scroll down to the section for Miscellaneous Info;

3) On the line for Preparer, select the preparer from the dropdown box.

As you already know, just because someone is assigned to a return, it doesn't mean that person is the preparer.  Ultimate, the person to be listed as the preparer is the one who signs the return and meet the definition under §301.7701-15(b)(1).

Signing tax return preparer. A signing tax return preparer is the individual tax return preparer who has the primary responsibility for the overall substantive accuracy of the preparation of such return or claim for refund.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

@itonewbie .  Thank You for your reply (& the additional clarification).  👋🏾

Th. 3/30/2023

@itonewbie and @George4Tacks .

Thank You both for your replies.

Update --->

I followed your provided instructions & quickly realized that I had already been to this menu area (within the software) before posting the initial question.  I clicked the data entry field and got the screens (or dialogue boxes) shown in the attached screenshots (below).

At this point, when I click the "+" sign, should I be seeing a drop-down of all the preparers that I have already entered & configured in the software?  That's not happening.  (I wondered if you were supposed to manually type in the correct info.  That does not seem to work).

The other issue that may be a factor is:

Is this feature/function supposed to be accessible regardless of whether the user accesses Intuit ProConnect™ on a desktop, laptop, tablet, or mobile device?

Screenshot_20230330-190035.png

Screenshot_20230330-190025.png

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@Minority Tax Pros - DMV You're on the wrong screen.

As mentioned in my response earlier, you need to go to General > Client Information.  Then, you scroll down to Miscellaneous Info.  There, you will see a line for Preparer.  From that dropdown, you will be able to select one of the preparers you have already set up under Settings (i.e. the Gear icon in the bottom of the left panel) > Preparer Information.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers

@itonewbie .  So you're explaining that the following sequence is incorrect?

•"Tax Returns" Tab (on left side)

•Select Client's Return - by clicking Action > "View Return"

RETURN OPENS

•Input Return Tab

•General Tab (on left side)

•Client Information > Miscellaneous Info. > Then scrolling to "Preparer Name" field.

If this pathway is incorrect,  I'm not sure where else to locate ---> General > Client Information, etc.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Screenshot from 2023-03-31 02-04-16.png

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers

@itonewbie .  Thank You!

Okayyy.  I got it.

I was (apparently) just slightly below where you were directing me.

(Frequently an image/photo is worth hundreds of words).

Regards & Have a Nice Evening...

🙋🏾‍♂️👋🏽