Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to file an extension

Hi, 

I'm trying to file an extension for a client, but when I go to efile, ProConnect Tax wants to charge me a credit to do so. Is there a way to do this for free (i.e. not using a credit)? In this situation, I will not end up filing the return for the client, just the extension. 

Follow up, if I do file an extension for a client who I DO intend to file the return for, will I need to purchase another credit in order to do that, or will it cost me just one credit to both file and extension and file the return? 

Thank you! 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

If you are sure you will be billing for the return, e-filing an extension will not add to the fee you pay to Intuit for the return.  The fee of each return you pay Intuit already covers extensions, state/local returns, and amended returns.

If you are looking for the easiest way to file an extension, ask your client to make an extension payment instead.  That's a painless way to get it done.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
abctax55
Level 15

Is there a way to do this for free 

No - you have to pay to file the extension.  Intuit has no way of knowing whether/when you'll be using the file to do the return.

You could paper file.

No- you don't have to pay again to file the actual return.

The moral is - don't file an extension if you aren't sure

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
itonewbie
Level 15

If you are sure you will be billing for the return, e-filing an extension will not add to the fee you pay to Intuit for the return.  The fee of each return you pay Intuit already covers extensions, state/local returns, and amended returns.

If you are looking for the easiest way to file an extension, ask your client to make an extension payment instead.  That's a painless way to get it done.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

Thank you!