Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProConnect " keyword search " is a nightmare !

FASBCPA
Level 2

Dear ProConnect Engineers.

1. In ProConnect, (left blue menu) Help menu keyword search function is a nightmare !

2. How do you expect ---- paying subscribers ---- tax professionals to learn your ProConnect Tax program, if we can't find the instructions?

3. But don't take my word, let me demonstrate how useless the help function is.

4. I searched key words " Tax Benefit Rule. "  Below are the ACTUAL results.  You will notice -- completely irrelevant.

1. Common questions about form 1099-R in ProConnect Tax.
    2. How are estates and trusts defined in the Fiduciary module?
    3. Common questions for Form 8962 Premium Tax Credit in ProConnect.
    4. A client who self-prepared returns "forgot" to depreciate her rental. The property was placed in service in 2018. Should I amend or file Form 3115?
    5. S-Corp late election - how to report payroll tax.
    6. With business expenses subject to the 2% adjusted gross income threshold, do I enter the full expenses on the schedule C? Or only the amount exceeding 2%?
    7. Determining the Name Control for Form 1041.
    8. COVID-19 relief: How to apply changes to returns in ProConnect.
    9. California Now Conform with Federal HSA deduction, But Proconnect Tax is not incorporate this yet.
    10. 401k contribution from 2 employer exceed limits 2021.
    11. Where do I enter the Company share of Simple IRA for owner on 1120S.
    12. State Conformity to Federal Section 965 Transition Tax.
    13. Repayment of 401k loan.
    14. Understanding Excess Home Mortgage Interest for Individual federal Schedule A in ProConnect.
    15. Entering Form RRB-1099-R Railroad Retirement Board Benefits.
    16. Recovery Rebate Credit claim/calculation based on 2019 income since 2020 income was higher.
    17. Reporting an IRA distribution under the General Rule in ProConnect Tax.
    18. Generating the Earned Income Credit in ProConnect.
    19. Client received his SS after due date but IRS doesn't show extension.
    20. Entering a partnership Schedule K-1, line 20 in ProConnect.
    21. Common questions for exempt organizations (Form 990, 990-PF, or 990-T) in ProConnect.
    22. Minnesota retroactive tax law change.
    23. 2020 NOL and 2019 NOL - Rev. Proc. 2020-24.
    24. Understanding qualified business income (QBI) reductions.
    25. Calculating form 8962 with a self-employed health insurance deduction in ProConnect.
    26. RMD repaid in 2020.
    27. Understanding special depreciation in ProConnect.
    28. Restaurant Revitalization Fund (RRF).
    29. Generating the Unemployment Compensation Exclusion in ProConnect.
    30. How to generate Form 8839 Qualified Adoption Expenses in ProConnect Tax.

5. Okay I'm exhausted.  There are 88-more pages of completely irrelevant results.

6. Item # 21 takes the cake !  How does  "....exempt organizations..." get into the search results ?!?  Really !!!  Exempt organizations do not have income tax !!!!!

7. So, what did I do to solve my issue?

8. I --- a paying subscriber ---- had to spend 1-hour, 25-minutes on the phone with a ProConnect ---- non-tax rep whereby they asked for copy of my tax return, so said ProConnect Rep could go through a trial-and-error process of getting to answering my question.

9. There are sooooo many examples.  This week alone 03-27-2023 thru 03-31-2023, I had to call ProConnect support 4-times to get answers.

10. One ProConnect tech Rep guy told me that amounts on the 1099-Misc income does not flow to the tax return because it is NOT taxable. 

1. Wrong !!!!

11. Where can I find relevant instructions to use your ProConnect Tax Software.   
  12. I paid for it !!!!

1 Comment 1
itonewbie
Level 15

You have my vote for this.  In fact, you are not the first to complain and certainly won't be the last.

This was the case before the migration to this platform and still is.  But no one bothers.

I see that you're new.  Old-timers know better than to use the search function here.  You're much better off using your favorite browser - and if you prefer searching for contents here, preface your search with ProConnect.

If you come across any posts that may be of interest to you, bookmark them because you may have a hard time looking for them later.

This is not worth the stress.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar