Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PA tax on Personal Residence

JShin
Level 2

I entered the information for a sale of a personal residence in Pennsylvania. It came out correctly for Federal, but even though I checked the Box to show on PA, it is not and I cannot get it to work. Any ideas?

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
itonewbie
Level 15

If this a part-year or nonresident PA return?  A bit more info will help.

In case this is a multi-state return, you can refer to these articles for detailed instructions on how to make the input and how sourcing to different states work:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/form-w-2/create-multi-state-return-proconne...

https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/multi-state-taxes/entering-multi-state-amou...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
JShin
Level 2

It is neither a Part-Year nor a Non-Resident return.  It is a full year resident taxpayer.  But thank you for taking the time to respond.   

0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 15

Are you a tax preparer? If not, then I respectfully suggest to get lost. This forum is for tax preparers.

0 Cheers
JShin
Level 2

Am I a tax preparer?  Yes, but only for the last 49 years.  Thanks for your haughty response.  But let me ask you a simple question-do you know the answer to a legitimate dilemma?   It comes out correctly on Federal, but not working on PA, even though I checked the boxes to calculate for PA.  

0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 15

Sorry, but it is way past my bedtime, and I must be going to sleep now. Good night.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@JShin wrote:

It came out correctly for Federal, but even though I checked the Box to show on PA, it is not and I cannot get it to work...

...It is neither a Part-Year nor a Non-Resident return.  It is a full year resident taxpayer.  But thank you for taking the time to respond.   

OK, it's a full-year resident return.  It should be relatively straight forward.  Just need to understand three things:

1. What exactly is the box that you have checked to make it show on the PA return?
  2. What is not getting onto the PA return?  The entire transaction from F.8949/Sch D, only §121, o something else?
  3. You mentioned that it's neither a PY or NR but a FY PA return but you didn't respond to the question whether this is a multi-state return.  Probably won't make much difference but it'd be good to get a confirmation to rule out anything quirky.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
JShin
Level 2
1-Pennsylvania Information
Calculate gain/loss on Form PA-19 box was checked

2-The entire transaction not showing for PA

3-Not a multi-state return, strictly PA.

And more importantly, thank you very much for your help in this matter.  I truly appreciate it!  

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Are you looking to file PA-19 because your client is not eligible for full exclusion on the PA return? 

Provided you have checked the right boxes for 2/5-years and there are no other mitigating factors, ProConnect Tax will allow full exclusion on PA-40.  For example, if the taxable gain is $600k on an MFJ return but only $500k is excluded under §121, this $100k on 1040 Sch D will not flow to PA Sch D for the taxpayer or the spouse.  In this case, PA-19 would not be required and ProConnect Tax will not generate the form.

According to he filing instructions for PA-19, it is only required "when a sale of a principal residence does not meet the requirements for exclusion or when the Additional Limitations apply."

If your client is not eligible for full exclusion on the PA return, please come back with more info.

Still an AllStar