Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Override 1040 line 16

istration
Level 2

I am an amendment for a return that our firm did not process. To create the filed return exactly, I need to override 1040 line 16 Tax. The person who filed the return did not calculate tax due correctly. Thank you.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

Sometimes software won't let us do things that are obviously not allowed.  I suspect you're just going to have to manually enter the original "wrong" information directly into the 1040X column A.  You don't have to enter the original return first (but it does usually make life easier).

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
IRonMaN
Level 15

You're welcome??

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

Sometimes software won't let us do things that are obviously not allowed.  I suspect you're just going to have to manually enter the original "wrong" information directly into the 1040X column A.  You don't have to enter the original return first (but it does usually make life easier).

istration
Level 2

I'll try that. Thank you!

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Is this a 2022 return?  When was it filed?  If the tax was computed incorrectly, IRS should have issued a math error notice, and the corrected tax would be what you enter in Column A.  Are any of the three boxes checked for Line 16?  Are you amending the return just to correct the tax computation, or are there other issues?  

0 Cheers
istration
Level 2

It's for 2022. The client entered everything by hand and mailed it. She made an error with the tax tables. She received a K-1 late which is the primary reason for the amendment. 

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Wait till she gets the math error notice from IRS, then use the corrected number as your starting point.  Amending it before the original return is processed, is just asking for trouble.  

0 Cheers