Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My client has only first name (two words) and last name, without a middle name.

SunnySpring
Level 3
ProConnect doesn't recognize the double-first name, instead, it took the first part of first name as "First Name" and the second part of the First name as "Middle Name" and as a result, the Form shows the second of "First name" as "initial" of middle name. My client was angry.  How could I do in a case like this?
0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
IRonMaN
Level 15

Sounds like you want to stick with clients that have only 1 first name.  Angry clients make much better former clients than current clients.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Could you give an example of this name. Just type letters to get the same length.

I tried my sample as Whatza-Whatza Macallit as the hyphenated first name and on middle and it worked fine. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

I have had clients who use two first names.  Hezzy Marie (RIP) would be upset if someone addressed her just as Hezzy.  Since the default is for everything to be changed to capitals, you might get away with HEZZYMARIE.  On the other hand, that might make the client even angrier.  And she has probably been protesting hyphens all her life.  Ask Billie Joe Armstrong's agent, how he files?  Maybe Billie+Joe 

SunnySpring
Level 3

I suggested him how about inserting a "-" between the two, and he insisted that there shouldn't be " - " at all.  In the end, he said that the second part of the first name can be in the middle-name box, only one letter of initial.

I was expecting to see some other responses, or I was intending to protest ProConnect.

I really do not want to put the second first-name into the middle-name box with one letter.  I remember that in the past, my client removed the middle initial after her husband died, but she didn't tell me about the change, because she didn't think it wasn't important.  Yet, after I filed her return, the IRS rejected her return, for the reason that the SSA's record didn't have such a name with the same SSN.

I had to amend her return, without the middle name initial.

That's why I am nervous when I saw his second first-name was included in the middle name box.  Form 1040 was fine, since this form displays a full name, without a comma, a hyphen, or anything.  The problem is the NY State return, where the first name, middle name initial, and last name have to be entered in a separate box.  ProConnect automatically places the second part of the first name into the middle name box, only initial.

I want to ask the ProConnect technical support about this, lack of flexibility, lack of consideration of the possibility of return with such a name being rejected.

Has anyone had the experience of the return e-filed being rejected by IRS, merely because of the SSN and the name wouldn't match?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Has anyone had the experience of the return e-filed being rejected by IRS, merely because of the SSN and the name wouldn't match?

Many times. But not because of two name first name.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

IRS matches the SSN with the first four letters of the last name.  For many years, they only did this for the primary SSN on a return.  What happened with your widow client was that she never told Social Security her name had changed from Smith to Jones, when she got married.  And she never filed a return with her name and SSN as primary.  When she filed single as Jones, her SSN was still under Smith.  But in the process of claiming survivor benefits under her married name, Social Security changed their records, and IRS found out before they tried it again.  

0 Cheers