SunnySpring
Level 3

I suggested him how about inserting a "-" between the two, and he insisted that there shouldn't be " - " at all.  In the end, he said that the second part of the first name can be in the middle-name box, only one letter of initial.

I was expecting to see some other responses, or I was intending to protest ProConnect.

I really do not want to put the second first-name into the middle-name box with one letter.  I remember that in the past, my client removed the middle initial after her husband died, but she didn't tell me about the change, because she didn't think it wasn't important.  Yet, after I filed her return, the IRS rejected her return, for the reason that the SSA's record didn't have such a name with the same SSN.

I had to amend her return, without the middle name initial.

That's why I am nervous when I saw his second first-name was included in the middle name box.  Form 1040 was fine, since this form displays a full name, without a comma, a hyphen, or anything.  The problem is the NY State return, where the first name, middle name initial, and last name have to be entered in a separate box.  ProConnect automatically places the second part of the first name into the middle name box, only initial.

I want to ask the ProConnect technical support about this, lack of flexibility, lack of consideration of the possibility of return with such a name being rejected.

Has anyone had the experience of the return e-filed being rejected by IRS, merely because of the SSN and the name wouldn't match?

0 Cheers