Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to file an amended 1040 for 2020, however I'm receiving a critical diagnostics, that the 1040-X is not included in this version. What version do I need?

darekp-cpa
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

11 Comments 11
abctax55
Level 15

I don't think you can amend 2020 until much later this month.

The IRS isn't ready for them yet.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
itonewbie
Level 15

I think this starts the counter for this year.  #1.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
goshen9882
Level 3

I think you need to look into filing a "superseded" tax return.

This return then becomes your originally filed return.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

I think someone asked last week.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

True. But that needs to be paper filed. When available, a 1040X can be efiled.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
goshen9882
Level 3

Don't disagree, but filing a superseded return essentially fixes any "issue" and is then the original filed return; assuming it is filed timely (no extension).

This is an often overlooked resolution and sometimes an "issue" can't be handled with an amended return.

So depending on what the OP is needing to correct, this is a very viable option.

darekp-cpa
Level 2

Interesting idea, unfortunately the state in which the return is filing doesn't accept superseded returns. Preferably would rather keep the Fed and State returns together.  

darekp-cpa
Level 2

Didn't see any mention of timing for when IRS was accepting them in the IRS Pub for the 1040-X.  Does any one know when Intuit will have the 1040-X Form available? I can't access it for e-file or paper filing. Again the software is stating not available in the current version...

0 Cheers
darekp-cpa
Level 2

Well well well...Guess what is available today? 1040-X. Thanks all for you replies snarky or otherwise.

pwms2009
Level 1

I don't see an "Amend Return" option in ProConnect; it is there for 2021.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

@pwms2009 Are you looking for 1040x?

Start in Profile check the appropriate boxes for amendments

Input Return > grab the grey bar and the bottom and slide to the right  to find Amended (1040-X)

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers