Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I get so many "suggestions" when it comes to foreign tax credit. One is "when" was the tax paid? Consolidated 1099's don't say "when" the tax was paid.

cakeen
Level 3

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

Use 12/31/22

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
sjrcpa
Level 15

Use 12/31/22

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

February 25, the anniversary of the 16th Amendment. 

And we didn't even celebrate it this year  . . .

IRonMaN
Level 15

Most of the 1099s I see show the date paid ----------------- if you look for it.  But I don't tend to look for it and use the suggested 12/31 date.  I left off the year for when somebody looks at this next year or the year after or the year after that.  You just know someone two years from now is going to see this and wonder why 12/31/22 doesn't work on a 2024 tax return. 😬

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

12/31/22 doesn't work on a 2024 tax return.

Someone's been around here a long time (or, too long ?)

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

Are you calling me old? 😃

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
cakeen
Level 3

I will use 12/31/22 for this year. Thanks much.  Once other "suggestion" I get is "Taxpayer received either foreign source qualified dividends and/or foreign source capital gain distributions. No adjustment was made to these amounts as the taxpayer qualified for the adjustment exception."

I get that suggestion EVEN when the foreign credit fully comes through to line 20 on the 1040.

Any thoughts on why it appears I don't have this entered correctly?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

"the adjustment exception" is explained somewhere in the 1116 instructions. Have fun reading.

Ex-AllStar