Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to report foreign partnership income with no EIN

davidwashington
Level 3
Foreign Partnership does not have EIN
0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

Try entering ForeignUS

Ex-AllStar
davidwashington
Level 3

Unfortunately that does not work either.   CS says IRS does not support e-filing as an option in this case.   Hmm.

If you break down the components of a K1 into separately stated items, each of them can generally be reported on a tax return without an EIN.   Not necessarily on the correct line of the return, but from an income classification, yes.    What I miss reporting independently is the partnership basis updating.   ProConnect it seems does not have any "miscellaneous" statement like ProSeries, so even if I wanted to include that information (not needed, all income), I cannot.

So a judgement call - efile using the alternate method above, or paper filing?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Does it have Nores, that can be designated as a Statement? I'm thinking like the Lacertian that I am. ProConnect is based on Lacerte.

Ex-AllStar
davidwashington
Level 3

Well, this is not conclusive, but it may not be an IRS limitation.

I made the mistake of buying CCH ProFX, and testing this issue of omitting an EIN for a K1 worksheet does not appear to be a limitation in ProFX.   I think Intuit may be wrong.   See this article by IRS that is two years old now:  National Taxpayer Advocate Annual Report to Congress 2021 (irs.gov)

If it is an Intuit limitation, I wish they would just admit it.