Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I suppress including the Calif Schedule D. ? My California Schedule D is identical to Federal- there are no state differences.. The instr. say it's not required.

zanster
Level 2

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
George4Tacks
Level 15

I think that there are two options:

1. Edit the pdf and delete the offending pages

2. Suck it up and let the state have too many pages. That is far better then not enough pages. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
zanster
Level 2

Not sure if deleting the pg from the client's PDF is enough.  Intuit will still transmit a form that isnt needed.

You only need to file the form 540D  if your Calif Basis is different than Fed.. That's a very substantial statement to make.  State will see this form and incorrectly think there are lots of basis differences if all the sched D trades are listed there. May trigger a visit from a friendly rep. of the FTB that's totally unnecessary. 

Anyone have a better solution ?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

"State will see this form and incorrectly think there are lots of basis differences if all the sched D trades are listed there. May trigger a visit from a friendly rep. of the FTB that's totally unnecessary. "

Not gonna happen because of this.

Ex-AllStar
George4Tacks
Level 15
I have always been an advocate of give them MORE than they need, rather than LESS of what they need.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
zanster
Level 2

OK then I guess there's no easy solution other than maybe establishing  two returns one for Fed and one for Calif..   I called Tech supporrt about this a few yrs ago and that's what they suggested. .I thought maybe by now they'd come up with a solution to not have to burn up another return credit.

0 Cheers
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

My notes for an analogous situation says "Pass on trying to suppress AR Sch D and 4562. No AR differences." Pretty sure I have a CA client with a note that references the CA Sch D, but the return I'm working on at the moment is AR.

I have literally never heard a peep from a non-conforming state about having a schedule with no state differences.