Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I e-file a 1065 return with foreign partners?

I'm trying to file a Federal 1065 and VA 502 for a US partnership that has foreign partners. I've input 'foreign US' in the 'ID Number' field under Partner Information, but I get a critical diagnostic that the forms will be rejected. 

The foreign partners do not have US SSN, EIN or TIN ... do I have to file the returns manually or is there some other way to enter this info into ProConnect? 

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11
erick_g
Level 2

Hi @therockstaraccountant here your querry answer:
When dealing with foreign partners in a US partnership that do not have US Social Security Numbers (SSN), Employer Identification Numbers (EIN), or Taxpayer Identification Numbers (TIN), you may need to file the returns manually. ProConnect may not support the automatic e-filing of partnership returns in this scenario, as the lack of a valid US identification number can result in e-filing rejection.

To ensure compliance and accurate filing, consider reaching out to a tax professional or the IRS for guidance on how to proceed with filing manually and meeting all necessary requirements for foreign partners in your specific situation.