Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 5695

BrianG932
Level 3

Married clients purchased high efficiency gas furnace and want to take energy credit on Form 5695.  The only appropriate place I can see to enter the cost is the Residential Energy Property Smart Worksheet, but it says at the top of the worksheet:  CAUTION:  Do not use this copy of Form 5695 unless you are married filing jointly and both you and your spouse owned and lived apart in separate main homes.  Complete Part I of the first copy of Form 5695 for the taxpayer's main home and complete this copy for the spouse's main home.

Is there another place to enter the furnace purchase when the parties are husband and wife and living in the same main home?  I'm not seeing anywhere else on the Form 5695 to claim the credit.  Thanks. 

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@BrianG932 wrote:

CAUTION:  Do not use this copy of Form 5695 unless you are married filing jointly and both you and your spouse owned and lived apart in separate main homes. 

I think you are in a weird version of the 5695 that is only for separate homes.  Try to find the 'regular' version.

0 Cheers
BrianG932
Level 3

There is a "Form 5695 - Copy 2" for married filing jointly with separate homes, but that's not the one I am in.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I see what you mean not.

I think it is just a very poorly phrased statement from Intuit.  I think that is where you need to enter it.  Just make sure it shows up on the actual Form correctly.

BrianG932
Level 3

It appears the credit is showing up correctly, but the program then requires the completion of the Joint Occupant form, which is only to be completed if the spouse's have different main homes.  I can complete that form, but it will appear the spouses don't live in the same home.

0 Cheers