Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

electronic estimates with extension

cakeen
Level 3

When extending a return can a client not only make an electronic payment for whats currently due, but can they make an electronic estimated payment?  

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

No. You can make a large enough extension payment that you'll have an overpayment to apply towards 2023, but that's the best you can do.

greg7
Level 3

yes, there is a checkbox on the payments page that allows the client to electronically pay estimated taxes for 2023.  

When you select this, it will summarize the four payments in the letter.  If the payments aren't what you want, you can go back to the payments page to override the amounts that will be withdrawn from their bank account.  

//correction - I guess this can't be done with an extension.  (seeing someone else's response)

PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

That checkbox only gets transmitted with the income tax return, not with the extension request. The extension request only files the extension payment.

cakeen
Level 3

Thank you for clarifying.  I didn't think to simply make a larger payment with the extension to cover Q1 estimates.  Where do I manipulate the amount of the payment to be made with an extension?

Thanks!

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

In Extension screen, enter a big number for Total tax liability. I would compute the Total Payments and enter that. The 4868 should then show how much your client will pay with the extension.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers