Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know how to enter crypto airdrop transactions on proconnect?

I've asked the agents and they told me proconnect doesn't support foreign transactions, whatever that means.
0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Where would you like the transactions to appear on the return?

Dealers' choice in where they can be reported? I understand that crypto transactions are on Sch D but for Airdrops and wallets I'm uncertain. But i wasn't aware that i can choose where i can report it, when did this go into effect?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

That's not what Phoebe meant.

Sometimes the best way to find out how to enter something in the software is to look at where it should end up on the forms and work backwards.

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

Airdrop is Other Taxable Income (Schedule 1) valued on that date. They got the coin for free.

Wallet is how it is held. Not the event that put it here.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.

I appreciate the efforts but why can't either give me a direct answer?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"but why can't either give me a direct answer?"

I gave you the direct answer.

Airdrops and hard forks, when the coin is made available to your tax payer, makes it Other Taxable Income to your taxpayer, reported on Schedule 1, which is part of Form 1040.

How is that not a direct answer?

Perhaps you overlooked telling us this person earned the airdrop from their Business activity, which makes it ordinary Business Income.

George4Tacks
Level 15
sjrcpa
Level 15

I didn't know the answer til George and QB gave it. 😼

I have not had to deal with this yet.

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I have not had to deal with this yet."

Don't let fancy new terminology confuse the picture. Nothing about this type of event is new.

When you get something for free or earn it, and that something can be exchanged for "real" money, that makes it taxable. If I get a gift card only for some product or discount, that isn't something I can convert to real money, but if that card can be exchanged for cash or equivalent, it is taxable. Virtual money that can be converted to real money is taxable at the time you get it.

My father called it The Christmas Turkey Rule. You hand out turkey certificate to the staff = not taxable. You hand out a Coupon good for $X of Groceries = taxable.

Rev. Rul. 59-58 states:
“It is accordingly held that the value of a turkey, ham, or other item of merchandise of similar nominal value, distributed by an employer to an employee at Christmas, or a comparable holiday, as part of a general distribution to employees engaged in the business of the employer as a means of promoting their good will, does not constitute wages subject to income tax withholding or wages for Federal Insurance Contributions Act or Federal Unemployment Tax Act purposes.”

“…The foregoing rules will not apply to distributions of cash, gift certificates, and similar items of readily convertible cash value, regardless of the amount involved.”

0 Cheers