Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Expenses

msudtelgte
Level 1

I'm an accounting student, and we are using ProConnect for our Income Tax Final.  My classmates and I are struggling a great deal with input.  I'm having an issue with the medical of Schedule A.

The imaginary scenario is:  premiums are paid by employer, $700 a month.  This is in box 12a of the W2 as DD $8,400.  Also, there was a surgery expense of $10,100 that was paid out-of-pocket but reimbursed.

I know I need to enter that $10,100 but I don't know WHERE.  Can anyone help...? 

I have a ton of input questions, but this is the one I've spent the most time trying to correct

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
George4Tacks
Level 15

I suggest you and your classmates refer to Schedule A instructions. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sca.pdf

Where do you think you should enter the $8.,400?

If it were not reimbursed where do you think you should enter the $10,100?

Once you have answered those two problems, look for input in that same are for "reimbursement".

All of your questions are really related to tax issues, as all the medical deductions are in the same fairly small area of the program. You can find input by using "check return" and looking at the form involved. Click on the line you want to make an entry for and it will jump to the input (generally.)

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
qbteachmt
Level 15

Just a comment here: "premiums are paid by employer, $700 a month. This is in box 12a of the W2 as DD $8,400."

When using Computer Programs, they tend to be written to do their job for you. That means, for example, if you enter a W2, you should then confirm all those pieces already flow to wherever they need to flow, before also entering that same data in another place.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
egrigsbyea
Level 3

I have same problem and struggle with the medical expenses for my client for 2021 tax return.  I entered $6,629 including prescription, doctor visits, and health insurance out of the pocket.  I noticed the Federal Income Tax Summary showed itemized deductions: Medical and Dental total $56.00.  Scratching my head!  Is this a glitch problem?  What's happened to $6,629??  

Please help me!!

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Look at Sch A. Medical expenses are only deductible to the extent they exceed a certain percent of AGI.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
egrigsbyea
Level 3

Thanks sjrcpa. 

Sch A was not shown on black bold on the list.  I checked a box "Show all" and found it.  Now I see the calculation by 7.5% of AGI.   Cool!  

Thanks again.

0 Cheers