Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I ignore a critical error related to a W2 with no wages ? Or should I just delete the W-2. Box 12 reports retiree health care costs and HSA.

negrillive
Level 2
I'm thinking just delete the W2 to get the return filed. It would be a no harm no foul issue since the client is within HSA limits.
0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

Go for it.

Ex-AllStar
George4Tacks
Level 15

I assume that there are two w-2 from the same employer. Too many things and not enough boxes, so they spill one or two items onto a 2nd w-2.

Just make the "bonus" entry into the 1st W-2. DO NOT ENTER A SECOND W-2 JUST TO ADD THIS SPILL OVER.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
negrillive
Level 2

Thank you so much for your response. Its great to get "peer review" of issues! On the W-2, no, its not a second W-2. The client retired in 2021. For 2022, he got a 1099-R for his retirement pay in 2022, and then he got this W-2 with all fields blank other than box 12. He has a code W for $1,700 of Employer contributions to an HSA and a DD for $23,500 cost of employer sponsored health insurance. So to get the return to e-file without a critical error, I thought I would just delete the W-2, since it shows nothing in boxes 1-11 and no state info and no tax withheld. Might get a letter later on, but it should have any effect on taxable income. Any thoughts or advice on that plan?  

0 Cheers