Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I assign a tax return that is already in progress to a different client? I have 2 duplicate clients, one has the QBO account and one has the tax return.

userbecky
Level 2
I have the accounts mapped in QBO and want to import to PTO, and I have all carryforward info in PTO so do not want to have to start from scratch. If I simply merge the customers I lose the tax return in progress, as it stays attached to the inactive client. And from what I can see, I can't change the QBO customer name to merge the other way.
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
George4Tacks
Level 15

Pick your return > ACTIONS: Copy Return > Find the new return with COPY at the end of name > ACTIONS: Rename Return > View Return and change the Client Information

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
userbecky
Level 2

Thanks for the response - I copied the return and renamed it but I don't see how to change the client information? 

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

View the return > Client Information > Change the name, address, SSN, ..... to be sure it matches the new person and not the one you started with.

0 Cheers
userbecky
Level 2

I need it to actually link with the different client account in QBO though. It is the same company, the problem is that the QBO account is "Inc." and the PTO account is "Inc" so I can't import QBO=>PTO because it is a different client. I can go to our customer list and merge the 2 customers, but when I do that I lose the tax return that is tied to the client that was merged. 

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Chat with support, they may be able to help you.

0 Cheers