Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's All (Fill In The Blank)'s Fault

BobKamman
Level 15

I had to order another 1,000 #10 envelopes with my return address printed on them, from Envelope Superstore.  Last time I ordered these was December 2019.  Cost was $152.81 for envelopes and $27.87 UPS shipping, for a total of $180.68.  This time it's $140.97 for envelopes and $40.64 UPS shipping, for a total of $181.61.

6 Comments 6
IRonMaN
Level 15

They must have used heavier ink this year causing UPS to charge more.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

For 1,000 envelopes with your return address printed on it, the amount they charged you was close to nothing. You can always buy a Stamper with your address on it and stamp your own envelopes, that's what cheap people like myself do.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I use a local printer (who is also a good client) -------- no shipping charges -------- of course the printing charges are a little higher than the Superstore. 😉

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

I have a rubber stamp and frequently use it when I'm not concerned about the impression I am trying to make on the recipient. And I don't buy stationery anymore, I have something good enough set up with word processing.  I try to buy locally, but since my friendly neighborhood printer retired it's jus easier to order online.  

I just noticed that they didn't charge sales tax.  Of course, I'm supposed to pay 8.6% use tax.  Arizona doesn't even have a line on the income tax form for doing that, or a simple way of sending the money without applying for a sales tax number and filing monthly returns.  Of course I'll figure out a way to comply, anyway.  Do I have to pay sales tax on envelopes that I use for mailing out of state?

taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

I simply order the 1000 envelopes from Quill and run them thru the printer.  I have envelope and database that transferred names and addresses from last year, so return and taxpayer address prints right on envelope.  Thus I don't use any labels or need someone to send pre-printed envelopes.  Cost is only about 6.5 cents per envelope or $65.  And that is free shipping over $50.  Toner cost should be minimal I would guess.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Quill is still in business?  Well, I see that Sears has a few stores left also.  I can remember when Quill had local people going door to door in business parks, handing out free mugs and weighty catalogs. Now I get free shipping, regardless of order size, from Amazon.  (Well, yes, I have to pay an annual fee for Prime, but then I get to watch Thursday Night Football.  And Mrs. Maisel.)  Cost about 4 cents an envelope, and when I was checking the price at 2pm they said they could deliver between 5pm and 10pm.  This city is surrounded by Amazon warehouses.  

I could run blank envelopes through my printer too, and even add postage with Stamps.com for the discounted 63 cent rate, but it would take more time.  I generally do only one mailing a year (not organizers) to clients, so I don't go through that many envelopes.  If they get mail from me in summer, they are afraid to open it because they worry it's a retirement announcement.  And some of the letters this year may go as email attachments.  But that doesn't tell us who moved, and who died.  

0 Cheers