Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble shooting - 2 techs duplicated the same thing an hour each with no good result

Illni
Level 4

I would expect the second tech support person to be at a higher level of support than the first. I spent an hour troubleshooting with the first tech and he tried a multitude of steps to fix our problem of not being able to eFile. I next spent an hour with the next tech support, but they did nothing that the first person had not already tried. Their answer was that my internet provider did not have enough band width to send a simple tax return with a 1 MB attachment. My service is 15 MB down and 1 MB up and I have never had problems efiling clients with similar sized return files and attachments this entire season. ONLY this one client was an issue. We ended tha call unfavorably with "you need to call your internet provider and ask for more bandwidth of at least 50 MBs down." There was no mention of a recommended bandwidth UP , which is what a computer uses to SEND an eFile! This shows a lack of understanding or communication on the part of tech support about how things work and what we need to operate. Also it did not fix our problem of sending the file for eFile. After the call, I came up with my own solution which worked.....I simply copied the 2021 file and renamed it and had the pro-forma sent to 2022 program. Then I reinput off of the old original 2022 file, attached the 1 MB document, checked it for accuracy, and then successfully eFiled under the new client number. It was filed and accepted. This solution was not even discussed with the tech. The assumption, I assume, was that we were done here and I would have to paper file the returns -- very unacceptable in this age of overwhelming the IRS with paper -- the refunds would have been held up for at least 6 months or more. So my office lobby was backed up with waiting appointments for two hour delay with wasteful troubleshooting -- I had to come up with my own solution and it only took about 20 minutes.

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
IRonMaN
Level 15

You should have tried your own solution first before calling support.  When you can't find your own work around, that is when you call support, not before.

Slava Ukraini!