Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxable Social Security worksheet error

MartinF
Level 1

I think there may be an error on the 1040 line 6a worksheet. Line 7 of the worksheet is supposed to display the amounts from form Schedule 1, lines 11 through 20, and lines 23 and 25. I am doing a return for an educator that has educator expenses on line 11 of the Sch 1 of $300. The amount is showing correctly on the Sch 1, but displays as $250 on line 7 of the 1040 line 6a worksheet. The social security recipient is the taxpayer and the educator expenses are for the spouse. Does anyone know of a ruling that limits the calculation for this specific instance or is it just a worksheet bug? Thanks for any advice.

4 Comments 4
pamdory
Level 8

I don't see anything in the IRS instructions for the Social Security benefits worksheet or in any announcements regarding the increase to the educator expense deduction.  I think you found a bug.

Good catch too!  This could potentially affect other Sch 1 adjustments that have a limit that has adjusted, like the HSA deduction.  It doesn't come up a lot, but worth watching.

@IntuitDebH  might be able to help draw this to the attention of those who can fix it?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Highlight the return and use Ctrl+L to contact support. You can attach a copy of the return for them to do the diagnosis. This is the quickest and easiest way to get their attention. No hold time on the phone!!!!

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
abctax55
Level 15

@IntuitGabi 

@IntuitLisaI 

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IntuitGabi

Thanks for the tag @pamdory & @abctax55 

@MartinF Are you still getting this error? Make sure your program is up to date.  We were unable to recreate on our end; if you continue to experience this it'll be best to contact us so we can get specific details on your files. 

Edit to add: To stay on this page and read the linked help articles, Right click on the hyperlink to 'Open link in a new tab'