Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer clients to 2022

Core - DS
Level 2

In 2021, we filed a few superseded returns - all 1065s. Per Lacerte instructions, we kept the originally filed 1065 as is and filed the new "copy" as superseded and added SS to the client #. When we transferred the clients to 2022, of course Lacerte brought over both clients. I assume that I want to keep only the superseded return for preparation of 2022. But I would like to use my original client # (without the SS). When I go to change it, I get this message- "If you have transmitted e-file client "NAMESS", renaming will prevent you from receiving future acknowledgements for this file."

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to proceed for 2022?

4 Comments 4
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Assuming you're editing the name in the 2022 program, and you haven't e-filed the 2022 return yet, then you haven't "transmitted e-file client "NAMESS"" and don't need to worry about acks being unmatched.

Core - DS
Level 2

That makes sense - for some reason I had a fear that it would mess up previous years! Thanks for the response.

0 Cheers
ALyon
Level 3

Every year I have "duplicate" clients in Lacerte due to amended returns or superseded returns.  When I proforma to the next year, I only select the amended or superseded return.  No need to proforma the original return.  For example, I change the client number by placing an X at the end for an amended return.  I then proforma only the client number with the X.  

Lacerte brought over both of your clients because you probably selected the entire list.  You can exclude clients that you don't need next year.

Core - DS
Level 2

Thank you - definitely makes sense.

0 Cheers