Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State sourcing for Rentals on E

As a note to myself, and for others who in the future might encounter this problem of how to source Rentals to states, these comments will be helpful.

This is a 1040 with 2 states, where the rental is located in one state should be coded this way on screen 22, Codes 3, 10.

This prevents the rental from appearing on the Oregon return. (OR is not the resident state.) but lets it flow to Federal and the other state.

Screenshot 2023-09-05 083827.png

On the E input (Screen 18, Code 11), I have the same US and OR codes.

Why am I doing Intuit's job?!??! Please provide better instructions for state sourcing.

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Is there a reason you're coding the main entry as US, rather than as the resident state? Maybe there's an OR / CA interaction that I'm not familiar with (and both of those states do things differently, so maybe that's the case), but my multi-state returns work just fine without having a -1 entry for the non-resident state.

I'm confused. 
I think your understanding is correct.

puravidapto
Level 7

Rental income and expenses should be sourced to the state where the rental is physically located being a resident state or a nonresident state.

--
Click this link to vote. Like many good things in life, we have to fight for them.