Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spouses each claim a full year different state.

michele
Level 7

I have a joint return spouses are married but choose to each claim a different state as their full year home.  Yes they both live in different states. I am not sure how to get this to work in the program Indiana and Arizona. 

thx

Michele

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
BobKamman
Level 15

That should be fun, since Arizona is community property and Indiana is not. 

And they don't really "choose" which state to claim.  That's based on facts and circumstances, and you're supposed to make sure they don't cheat.  Where are they registered to vote?  What about their cars?  Driver's licenses?  Not really unusual for spouses to have two domiciles these days, if they can show that's what keeps them together.  

0 Cheers
michele
Level 7

It's a retired couple one does not want to move there. They are each registered to vote in their states and cars in their states their pensions show up for the state they live in.  UGH

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Gotta wonder about the one who wants to winter in Indiana.  But I once had an Arizona client who spent the summers in Indiana, not that the weather was much better but it was "home" before they moved.  

0 Cheers