Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sale of collectible outside of your domiciled state

LSTAX
Level 4

Hi - hope everyone is staying safe. 

If you live f/t in AZ but inherited artwork from someone in NY and it sells in NY -  besides any sales tax that  NY would expect - which state will tax the capital gains?

Thank you

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

Yes, that's the one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
sjrcpa
Level 15

Where was it kept from when you inherited it until you sold it?

Ex-AllStar
LSTAX
Level 4

It stayed in NY.  Additionally, they inherited a rental property in NY so they file as a non resident of NY for that income.  Capital gains on the artwork would be much larger in NY than AZ.

Thanks again

sjrcpa
Level 15

Was the art in the NY rental property?

Art is, generally, movable personal property but if it never moved out of NY I'm thinking it is NY property subject to NY tax. 

The AZ tax should be wiped out by the credit for tax paid NY.

If the dollars are large, I'd start researching this.

Ex-AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

I'm for the idea that gains from a sale of collectibles in NY is sourced and taxable to NY for nonresidents under NY tax law Sec. 613(b)(1)(A) and on the basis artistic items are within the definition of personal tangible properties.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
LSTAX
Level 4

I agree it is tangible personal property but Sec 613(b) is percentage of completion method - what code are you referencing? Thank you

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

My apologies.  I had the section number transposed.  It should be Sec. 631(b)(1)(A).

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
LSTAX
Level 4

oh, the NY code New York source income of a nonresident individual

(A) the ownership of any interest in real or tangible personal property in this state; or

Is that it?  Looks like they want it.  Thank you for bringing this up.  

Thank you all

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Yes, that's the one.

Still an AllStar