Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reject Error because W2 TIN not matching with IRS data base

butch
Level 1

I have a Foreign worker with form 2555 physical presence. The return is continually rejecting because the Employer TIN is not matching with the IRS Database. When entering the W2 info on the Foreign wages for form 2555 the emplyer name is longer than the feild allows. I think that is why it is rejecting. The name is Truncated. The taxpayer is still oversees and paper filing will be a diffucult option. Does anyone have a possable solution?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@butch wrote:

The return is continually rejecting because the Employer TIN is not matching with the IRS Database.

When entering the W2 info on the Foreign wages for form 2555 the emplyer name is longer than the feild allows. I think that is why it is rejecting. The name is Truncated.

So he received a W-2, right?  So this is a US employer?

A truncated name shouldn't matter, especially on Form 2555.  Why do think that is the problem?  Just make sure the first few characters of the name on the W-2 are correct, and double check that you are correctly entering the US Federal EIN on the W-2.

PKCPAMST
Level 5

Try this.

1. Go to Screen 31 – Foreign Income Exclusion. On the left navigation panel, at the top, select Foreign Wages.
  2. Go to Section – Employer Information, and blank out  Field (b) EIN.
  3. Go to Section – Electronic Filing (W-2), under Subsection - Foreign Employer Compensation (a) check Field Compensation not reported on W-2, and (b) in Field Country code if work not performed while residing in US, select the name of the country your client lives in from the drop-down.
0 Cheers