Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

California Client mailed payment: IRS, PO Box 802501, Cincinnati, xxxxx-xxxx and it was returned today as undeliverable. Return was e-filed. Anyone else experience this?

cmbtax
Level 2
I double checked the IRS website today, this address still seems to be valid until June. This address was also provided by Lacerte software on the client letter and the 1040-V payment voucher.
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

It looks like it is valid until June, then it stays the same

https://www.irs.gov/filing/california-where-to-file-addresses-for-taxpayers-and-tax-professionals

My guess is the postal bar coding at the bottom of the envelope was screwed up. I would use black marker and cross that out and write TRY AGAIN in red sharpie and put it in the mail. Sometimes my sarcasm is not met well by governmental agencies, so use any method you feel appropriate. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
abctax55
Level 15

Did you really use XXXX-XXXX for the zip code?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
cmbtax
Level 2

No. I typed the correct zip code 45280-2501 in the original question and somehow it got changed to xxxxx-xxxx when it was posted, (Lacerte?).

PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Probably the "auto-mask anything that looks like an EIN or SSN" caught it.

George4Tacks
Level 15

It looks like it is valid until June, then it stays the same

https://www.irs.gov/filing/california-where-to-file-addresses-for-taxpayers-and-tax-professionals

My guess is the postal bar coding at the bottom of the envelope was screwed up. I would use black marker and cross that out and write TRY AGAIN in red sharpie and put it in the mail. Sometimes my sarcasm is not met well by governmental agencies, so use any method you feel appropriate. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
BobKamman
Level 15

I knew IRS had budget problems, but I didn't think they would run out of money before paying for the Post Office box.