Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the benefits on electing Option Self- Employment and what are the benefits of this?

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3

I looked at that once or twice a long time ago and saw no benefit, especially when my time was considered. 

My best advice:  Don't do the calculation if you are swamped.  

Next best: Do the calculation once or twice so you know a bit about it.

I'm sure someone will respond tomorrow with a better reply.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

1) Receive a "credit" for Social Security benefits.

2) Have "earned income" for purposes of the Earned Income Credit and/or Additional Child Tax Credit.

qbteachmt
Level 15

From IRS references:

"Optional Methods

How the Optional Methods Can Help You

Social security coverage.

The optional methods may give you credit toward your social security coverage even though you have a loss or a small amount of income from self-employment.

Credits affected by earned income.

Using the optional methods may qualify you to claim the earned income credit (EIC), additional child tax credit (ACTC), or child and dependent care credit or give you a larger credit if your net earnings from self-employment (determined without using the optional methods) are less than $6,560. Figure the EIC, ACTC, and child and dependent care credit with and without using the optional methods to see if the optional methods will benefit you.

Self-employed health insurance deduction.

The optional methods of computing net earnings from self-employment may be used to figure your self-employed health insurance deduction.

Other items affected by adjusted gross income (AGI).

Using the optional methods may decrease your AGI, which may affect your eligibility for credits, deductions, or other items that are subject to an AGI limit. Figure your AGI with and without using the optional methods to see if the optional methods will benefit you.

Using the optional methods as describedabove may be beneficial, but they may also increase your SE tax."

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.