Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Payment Posted Incorrectly

sassycat
Level 3

Extension payment not posted corrrectly, only part of it.  Rest was applied to a previous year even thought the year 2018 and Form 1040 was written on the check which I thought meant the IRS could not apply it to a previous year.  Need the Code Section or something to back this up.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Revenue Procedure 2002-26.

If additional taxes, penalty, and interest for one or more taxable periods have been assessed against a taxpayer (or have been mutually agreed to as to the amount and liability but are unassessed) at the time the taxpayer voluntarily tenders a partial payment that is accepted by the Service and the taxpayer provides specific written directions as to the application of the payment, the Service will apply the payment in accordance with those directions.

So the taxpayer just needs to contact the IRS to correct it, preferably with proof of the "specific written directions" for how to apply it.

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
qbteachmt
Level 15

This is October 2020. There is no filing for an Extension for 2018 at this time. 2018 is a previous year.

Can you be more specific?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Revenue Procedure 2002-26.

If additional taxes, penalty, and interest for one or more taxable periods have been assessed against a taxpayer (or have been mutually agreed to as to the amount and liability but are unassessed) at the time the taxpayer voluntarily tenders a partial payment that is accepted by the Service and the taxpayer provides specific written directions as to the application of the payment, the Service will apply the payment in accordance with those directions.

So the taxpayer just needs to contact the IRS to correct it, preferably with proof of the "specific written directions" for how to apply it.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Did a 2018 1040-V payment voucher accompany the payment? or was it just written on the check?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

I don't think a notation on a check qualifies as a "specific written direction as to the application of the payment" -- especially if the payment is being sent to a private lockbox, as extension payments are supposed to be.  There is obviously more to this story than what we have been told.  

0 Cheers
sassycat
Level 3

It was with the 4868 form on April 15, 2019

0 Cheers
sassycat
Level 3

He did owe for previous years, which is why I put specific instructions on the check and included the extension form.  I did not want it posted to the previous years to avoid penalties for 2018.   It was paid on April 15, 2019 

What other information would be needed?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"even thought the year 2018 and Form 1040 was written on the check"

From Form 4868 instructions:

"Write your SSN, daytime phone number, and “2018 Form 4868” on your check or money order."

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
sassycat
Level 3

thanks, I think i will try saying it was "specific written instructions" and see if they buy it.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If the payment amount was on Line 7 of Form 4868, that is clearly "specific written instruction".

BobKamman
Level 15

My guess is that you sent it to the IRS Service Center and not the required lockbox address.  But why is this problem just surfacing now?  Second guess is that the 2018 return asked for the refund to be rolled over to 2019 -- but IRS won't do that when there is tax owed for a previous year.  So when the 2019 return was filed, the expected credit was not there.