Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is gain from sale of amine postcards collectible items

hgtc
Level 5

Client sold some amine postcards  (in Amine Convention) with long-term gains.  Are they subject to 28%?

Thanks.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
hgtc
Level 5
7 Comments 7
BobKamman
Level 15

Do you mean anime?  Did he buy them as an investment, or to resell and it just took longer than expected?  

hgtc
Level 5

bought for personal purposes - investment.  taxpayer is not in the business of selling.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

OK, now I get it, you want to know if this is a collectible subject to the 28% rate.  IRS would probably say that it is, and that they are entitled to add it to the list even after the sale is made and the return is filed.  Also, that Congress meant to give them that authority.  Others might say that it's not what was intended by "collectible" at all; everything is collectible, by someone.  Tell your clients it's a grey area and let them decide how much risk they want to take for how much tax is involved.  

hgtc
Level 5

Thank you.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Good answer Bob.  Actually I'm kind of surprised that it didn't solve the problem.  Who would have guessed that "thank you" was the answer that solved the puzzle. 😉

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN SMH. Thank You.

hgtc
Level 5

Bob, thanks for your help. I must click the wrong button.  We decided to go with 28%.