Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Depreciation amount for building is not what I expected

1040 from prior CPA. 

Building, rental, bought in 2012.  Cost = 911,690, 27.5 years, Method is "SL/GDS"

I get $33,149, which is simply cost divided by 27.5 years.

Depreciation per prior CPA = $43,795

That is a big difference, so I need to understand this and reconcile.  What are the elections the prior CPA could have taken to get an amount much larger than LC?  (Prior CPA did not use Lacerte.)

This CPA did not list any land. That isn't right.  Maybe Land is listed on a report not provided. Crap, means I have to call him.

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
abctax55
Level 15

Switch your setting to IRS Tables (if you are using DB/SL)  [ Settings > Options > Tax Return  > 11th one down...].

See if that gets you the number you are expecting.

If so, then it's likely the accumulated depreciation number is 'wrong'.

There's also a place in Screen 22 , for the specific asset to override (code 98)

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

But it sounds like you are trying to use IRS depreciation methods.  He decided to ignore IRS and GAAP methods and went for the CRAP method of accounting.😉

Slava Ukraini!

abctax . Thank you but that fix didn't change it. I have IRS tables set for all my clients.

I overrode it.

Mistakes happen but reconciliations find them.  I've been seeing many mistakes lately. This is far from the biggest.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

I would first call the client, who may have already provided you a clue about the prior CPA by choosing to leave him. Ask your client how much he paid for the building, and confirm the purchase date.  You need a good figure for the land value, anyway.  Also ask your client if the phrase "component depreciation" rings a bell.  Then maybe ask the prior CPA for workpapers on that.  

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Have you asked your client if it has always been 100% rental?  Or was there some personal use?

Does the prior tax return show a "prior" or accumulated depreciation amount?