Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Depreciation - out of service asset

An asset has an undepreciated cost which should not have depreciation calculated since it was taken out of service.

Is there a way to keep an asset (which is not fully depreciated) listed on the Depreciation schedule but indicate that it is out of service? I don't want to override depreciation every year.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

Use 99 for the method (Land or 'other')

And/ or send it to Form 17=Form 4562 only.  The deprec schedule will still print but the numbers don't hit the ITR.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
dkh
Level 15
Change business use % to zero
abctax55
Level 15

Use 99 for the method (Land or 'other')

And/ or send it to Form 17=Form 4562 only.  The deprec schedule will still print but the numbers don't hit the ITR.

( Generic Comment )"

Maybe that works. This is a primary residence that was rented as a vacation home from 2010 to 2016 then, for some reason the CPA took it out of service. What I want to do is show the original cost and the "business" cost so that I have a record when the house is sold.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

AND.... I think you get a critical diagnostic  but it doesn't impact efiling.  Or, I'm thinking of one I have that I send to a 'non-existent' Sch E (too long of a story 😉

( Generic Comment )"
pamdory
Level 8

I also use the Form code 17 = "Form 4562 only" to keep something on the depreciation schedule.  Works well to hold an asset in limbo.